Farsley Farfield Class 6S blog

Why not make our blog your homepage?

Wednesday 29th April

Wednesday 29th April | 2 comments
3

Good morning everyone and welcome to your mid-week update from 6S.

Firstly, details of assignments for the next two days:

Today’s tasks:

• English – Reading aloud task using Fluency Tutor. I have given the children instructions about how to do this on Google Classroom, but they may need a bit of support as it is a new website for them.
  • Maths – Angles in a Triangle – Special Cases
  • Topic – Geography – The World (continents and maps)

Tomorrow’s tasks:

• English – Stories with Flashbacks lesson 3
  • Maths – Angles in a Triangle – Missing Angles
  • Topic – P.E activity
  • Google Meet to go through any maths questions the children would like help with – 1pm

I have already received some excellent work this week. The children have worked hard to write a short story with a flashback, using a change of tense to indicate the shift in time (which is much harder than it sounds!).

The children have also been busy finding out more about the heart and its job. As part of this assignment, the children measured their heart rate before and after exercise and recorded their results. We found out that the average resting heart rate in 6S was 80.6 beats per minute and the average heart rate after exercise was 116.5 beats per minute – an increase of 35.9 beats per minute!

I wonder who can explain why our heart rates go up when we exercise?

Perhaps these pieces of work from Harry, Zachary and Pareen can help us explain:

These concept maps were completed on Brain Pop. If anyone hasn’t managed to log onto Brain Pop yet, please try to complete this by Friday, as there are lots of really useful resources on there.

This week I have also been able to spend some time reading the diaries that the children wrote last week. I asked the children to just write down the simple, everyday things. I didn’t expect that I would be quite so moved by the work they submitted. Some diaries were humorous, lots made me hungry, mostly I was just impressed by the children’s positive attitudes and the ways that families are getting on and doing what they need to do to get through this time together. One diary, written by Erin, really resonated with me, and she has given me permission to share it here.

Erin’s diary reminded me of the worries that children may be feeling and the importance of us acknowledging these worries and finding coping strategies. Mrs Swindlehurst has put together some excellent resources on the school website to support children with relaxation at home. There are several different story massages and visualisations that you might like to try. Here is an example of one of the massages:

You can view all the resources by following this link: https://www.farsleyfarfield.org.uk/relax/

I would also love to share with you The Book of Hopes, a beautiful online book put together by Katherine Rundell (one of my favourite children’s authors) to inspire hope at this time. The book features contributions from over 100 children’s authors, including Michael Morpurgo, Jacqueline Wilson, Frank Cottrell-Boyce, David Almond, Michelle Paver, Abi Elphinstone and so many more. Each author has written a short story or poem or drawn an illustration. It doesn’t need to be read all in one go (although you may want to!) – it is perfect for dipping in and out of if you have a moment where you feel bored or sad or frustrated or restless, or perhaps if you are looking for some creative inspiration! I really hope you will all have a look.

Once again, thank you to all the children for sharing their work and putting in so much effort.

Best wishes,

Mrs Sykes

2 responses to “Wednesday 29th April”

1. Christine says:

thank you for sharing your diary Erin! I think you sum up exactly what we are going through but especially year 6. We are hoping that after all this we could somehow arrange a yr 6 leavers party one way or another!!
    Also, thanks for the pointer to the book of Hopes and for the information from Mrs Swindlehurst.

• mrsnsykes says:

Yes, don’t worry everyone, we will definitely plan some leavers activities and get-togethers as soon as we can. We will all see each other again!