Farsley Farfield Class 6S blog

Why not make our blog your homepage?

Drama and Descriptive Writing

Friday 18th October | Comments are off for this post
7

This week in 6S we have been working on descriptive writing. After reading some examples of character and setting descriptions, we watched a trailer for the film ‘Brave’. We then created mind maps of words and phrases we might use to describe the character and the setting, trying to really focus on the details and use our senses. The next day we used our mind maps to write our own descriptions. Jack brought in his ‘Descriptosaurus’, which is a wonderful book to help with creative writing and many children enjoyed using this to help them.

Next week we will use what we have learnt to write descriptions of a scene from Kensuke’s Kingdom. In preparation for this, we worked in groups to act out part of the story, really trying to think about the character of Kensuke and his feelings and motives.

In maths we have been focusing on prime numbers, square numbers, cube numbers and multiples. We have also been practising our methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. The children worked really well on a team calculation challenge!

I have been very impressed with the Edward Jenner homework that we have shared so far. The children have been very enthusiastic and we have had some interesting discussions based on what the children found out. I am looking forward to sharing more writing, posters and presentations next week.

I also enjoyed my first Farfield harvest assembly today – complete with talking Big Daddy tomato! Thank you to those parents who were able to come along.

Homework

Maths homework this week is on prime numbers and is due on Wednesday 23rd October.

Spelling homework is on Spelling Shed and is adding suffixes to words ending in fer.

Have a great weekend,

Mrs Sykes