Farsley Farfield Class 6S blog

Why not make our blog your homepage?

Another great week in 6S!

Friday 1st December | Comments are off for this post
0

HOMEWORK:
Maths: Mathletics tasks on fractions.

Spelling: Year 5 and 6 Spelling list; -tious and -cious spellings from last week.

In maths, the children have worked on adding and subtracting fractions and mixed numbers. I have been extremely impressed with the effort of all the children this week; they have been able to convert fractions so they have common denominators, perform addition and subtraction operations before then simplifying the fraction once more! Some examples:

3/5 + 2/10 = 4/5

5 5/12 – 3 2/3 = 1 9/12 = 1 3/4.

Children have also been developing their algebra to solve problems such as:

Can you work out the value of e? Answers in the comments below please!

I have been really impressed with the enthusiasm in maths this week; I am looking forward to developing their fraction knowledge with multiplication and division next week!

In literacy, the children have produced pieces of writing inspired by Michael Morpurgo’s book War Horse with specific learning around finding a balance between narrative (description), action (when something happens) and dialogue (speech) within their writing. Children also identified different sections of dialogue, narrative and action with extracts from War Horse as well as others (including Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).