Farsley Farfield Class 6S blog

Why not make our blog your homepage?

6S Writing and Maps

Friday 7th June | Comments are off for this post
5

We’re back from residential and I have been really impressed with how well the children have worked since coming back.

I have been very impressed with the application and work of the children today. We have been doing some recount writing based on the experiences had on residential. Children were challenged to use a range of sentence types and Year 6-level punctuation. Some of their entries can be found below.

What an incredible residential! Everything we did was amazing and fun. However, my favourite activity had to be Via Ferrata. The combination of excitement and nerves made for an awesome adventure!

For Via Ferrata, we needed various equipment: carabiners (safety clips), a harness, a helmet, a pair of sturdy trainers and waterproofs. Before you did the actual climbing, you had to complete a practice course, which wasn’t very interesting. I felt really excited, albeit nervous. I also got a little bored waiting for everyone else to hurry up and finish!

Because we reached the extra part, my group was really lucky. No other groups were allowed! I went first and completed the whole course! When I was halfway across one section, I looked down and saw the gorge spread out below. It was exhilarating! The high-up, steel wire above the gorge which wobbled every time I moved was the only thing my feet had to hold onto! It was terrifyingly amazing.

Earlier on during the Via Ferrata, Mrs Elam screamed really loudly in Husna’s ear – Husna couldn’t hear anything for the rest of the scramble! It was really funny and made everyone laugh!

To finish the activity, I had to run and jump off a ledge, then pull myself along a wire. It was so scary but so fun! When I came down, we took lots of photos, which I didn’t appreciate! I was really proud of myself for finishing and going first!

Overall, I found residential amazingly fun and exciting (and cold!).  My advice to future Year 6s would be close the tent and don’t wear wet shoes into the tent! It generally doesn’t end well!

What a fantastic residential that was! My favourite activity would have to be abseiling – it was so thrilling.

We needed lots of safety equipment: a harness, durable ropes, carabiner clips and a helmet. To be able to lower ourselves down, we had to sit back in our harness and swing ourselves off the edge of the bridge. This was the only part I found scary; it was so high up!  The fast-flowing gorge below the bridge which had lots of slippery rocks was very cold to land in. Although the exhilarating journey down was over in about 10 seconds, I still had an amazing time! I was sitting on the ledge at the bottom of the gorge watching everyone else come down and it was hilarious; Mr Garlick came down sideways and fell over when he landed! As other people had to use the ropes and clips to come down, we all had to stand like a lemon whilst the instructer unclipped us.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole residential and every activity we did! My advice to current Year 5s would be to always shut the zip on your tent – everything will get wet otherwise.

We have also done some geographical work based on the Women’s World Cup. Children were challenged to find each of the 24 countries in an atlas and locate them on a blank world map. Each child has randomly chosen a team to follow as well. England’s first game is against Scotland on Sunday at 5pm. COME ON LIONESSES!!!