Farsley Farfield Class 6S blog

Why not make our blog your homepage?

6S residential 2019 Day 1

Monday 3rd June | 18 comments
14

We have had a very successful and happy day. The children have risen to the challenges and we are proud of them all.

We spent an hour at Coldstones Cut above Pateley Bridge. We battled high winds to reach the top and admire the clear view of the quarry and the wide and wonderful North Yorkshire surroundings.

We got to How Stean Gorge at 12 noon. The tents are all set up for us and the sun shone. It is due to rain and be windy tomorrow and our itinerary may change: shouldn’t affect the via ferrata too much as the gorge provides some shelter. I doubt that we’ll do canoeing.

After unloading, getting into our tents and eating lunch we had our first activities: abseiling and gorge scrambling!  Conditions were perfect. Almost everybody abseiled into the gorge: some seemed to want their money’s worth and went very slowly (Heather and Summer) but others were down in just a few seconds (Manroop, Evie, Yusuf). Yusuf shouted out like Tarzan throughout his descent! Everyone was very supportive of each other.  Everyone did the gorge scrambling and there was much laughter and hilarity. Ollie W led his group through a cave and most children did high jumps from a ledge.

Abseiling:

Gorge scrambling:

This evening the children have had some free time and have had a lovely evening walk up to Middlemoor.

Sorry the videos are mainly one group of children: it’s hard to share a Go Pro down a gorge and our other camera has failed (hence the poor still photos). Sorry!

18 responses to “6S residential 2019 Day 1”

1. Phoebe Cole :) says:

The abseiling was awesome .Although it looked really high, it wasn’t once in the harness. The gorge scrambling was slippy meaning my group were swimming and sliding everywhere.

It was so FUN !!!! 🙂

2. Evie says:

The abseiling and Gorge walk was my favourite; despite the fact it was really cold, I still had so much fun. Although it was very slippy, I still managed to carry on. Even though we weren’t allowed to stand on the black and brown rocks, it was really hard not to.

3. Manroop says:

The abseiling was the first thing we did when we came: it was fun.The gorge scrambling was fun too, but we were freezing-cold afterwards. Even though our tent leaked, it was still fun.

4. Mariah says:

When we did the abseiling, I was excited because I love water and I like heights and when I got to the bottom, I slipped.

5. Elizabeth says:

Before we got into the gorge, we went down a cave called Tom Taylor’s. Once we knew what the cave was, we went in with no light – it was scary but also really fun! Then we abseiled down into the gorge. The water was ice-cold! We did lots of fun things in the gorge: jumping in from a high ledge, sliding backwards into deep water and splashing everyone! Despite the cold water, we all had a lot of fun!

6. Charlie Heap says:

The abseiling was a great start to the residential; it was fun and an amazing entrance to the gorge. Although the gorge scrambling was FREEZING, it was awesome. I especially enjoyed jumping off the high rocks into the foamy-white water and sticking my head under the gushing waterfall.

7. Sam Shepherd says:

Really fun update, and looks like an amazing time. I’m deeply. Jealous, especially the gorge scrambling!

8. Sarah says:

It looks like you’re all having a fantastic time. I hope you are warm and dry for tonight. Sleep well ready for more adventures tomorrow. I can’t wait for the next update!

9. Shamim Sadiq says:

Wow these videos are great, and it all looks like so much fun too !!! It’s so reassuring to see you all enjoying the experience too.

Well done 6S !!

10. Nahed Akhtar says:

Looks like you are all having lots of fun and have been very brave. Well done.

11. Mrs Heap says:

Well done, 6S! We loved watching the videos. It’s wonderful to hear you all encouraging each other as you try new things. We spotted Charlie easily under the waterfall (If there’s a chance to get wet, she’s first in! Perhaps we should call this “extreme paddling”.)
    I’m so excited that I am able to go on Wednesday with 6H! (Tom is trying to think of how he can stow away in my bags so he can come too.)
    Have fun tomorrow!

12. Sarah Temporal says:

Lovely to hear that you’re all having such a great time. Good luck with the weather & look forward to hearing all about tomorrow’s adventures.

13. Debbie Smith says:

Looks very exciting, I hope you all enjoy the rest of the trip!

14. Nadine Armitage says:

Glad the weather is good for you, it all looks like loads of fun….I bet that water is freezing!!
    Enjoy your amazing adventure at How Stean Gorge making treasured memories….excellent

15. Mr Sharp says:

What wonderful videos! Well done everyone; you should all be very proud of yourselves. I wouldn’t have been able to do any of those jumps into the gorge.

Have a good sleep tonight and enjoy tomorrow’s activities. Keep being the best you can be!

Mr Harris: excellent selfie-video-jump.

16. Chloe A says:

Wonderful update – great pictures and videos. It looks like everyone is having a fantastic time. Well done 6S. Enjoy your activities tomorrow!

17. marion says:

Looks like you’re having a fantastic time already! Glad the weather has been good today – fingers crossed it won’t be too bad tomorrow and your plans won’t have to change.
    I loved seeing the footage of the gorge scrambling. That looks like a lot of fun! I’d love to have a go! Have a great evening – I’m sure you’ll all sleep well after all today’s activities!

18. Claire Brennan says:

Thanks for the update. It looks as though everyone is having a very exciting time. You are all very brave!
    Enjoy the next few days 6S!